Saturday, January 10, 2009

Random ramblings

The title says it all. But I've organized my intellectual vomit, as it were.
1) I've started writing music. Lyrics, rather. The music can't make it out of my head because i haven't a shred of music theory in my dense little brain. I wish I did! Consider this a "wanted ad". If anyone (or any two or three or twelve) wants to help me figure out some melodies and such, then you and I shall become the inseparable saviors of Melodopolis (da da da!).
2) On a broader note what's REALLY frustrating me is how awful I am at expressing myself. I have all these grandiose ideas and values and blah blah blah, but when I try to put them into action everything goes kaput. In a way I'm letting myself down. And what I could be. I'll work on it.
3) I HAVE NO LIFE, I UPDATE THIS WAY TOO MUCH!
4) I'm somewhat in love with Adam Guettel...in a non-sexual, very harmonious manner. He's THE future of musical theatre. Sure Jason Robert Brown and Lin Manuel-Miranda are unreal, but Guettel is NEW. With every chord, every soaring melody, every resounding counterpoint, the guy treads fresh soil. Must theatre songs "build". Guettel's music climbs, ascends, leaps. Heavy on strings but light as a feather, a Guettel piece isn't a big, dramatic explosion-it's a series of subtle, precise changes and shifts that move, stop, grow, fight, and give in, just like life itself. Listen to "The Light in the Piazza" and "Hero and Leander". Every note is coated with gold. I hear this guy may be doing a "Princess Bride" musical-how gasmic would that be?! Like a multi-generational "Into The Woods." Maybe even better.
5) On a Bruce Springsteen jag ever since I found 24 hr E Street Band station on my XM. What a writer! What a singer!

No comments: